Wednesday, March 27, 2013

easter cupcakes

I'm really really kicking myself right now. After my camera died, my mom and brother went on a trip to NYC and Boston with the KMS band so I didn't have my baby for two weeks. I've been baking up a storm, yeasted white bread and wheat bread, snickerdoodle cheesecake cupcakes, chicken puff pot pie (my favorite food ever) and all kinds of goodies but I couldn't take pictures. So I couldn't blog them. So I cried. and I wept because I missed you and this little blog.
Anyway, on to bigger and better things.
I'm sick today and it's horrid. I'm really sad and so I'm sitting here watching "boyfriend does makeup" videos and guess what. they're hilarious. My friends usually watch them to make themselves feel like crap because they're single. For me, I just laugh and remind myself I don't need a boyfriend because boys are dumb. Dumb as rocks. Oh lawdy. It's okay. I'm totally fine with growing old with just my cats and a full kitchen. I've resigned myself to that fact. At least then I can make these cupcakes and not have to share them. If anything, I have to marry someone who can eat more than me so we can down dozens of cupcakes and doughnuts together. That's true love right there.
Can't you just picture it now? I'll be fat and have a dozen cats and be surrounded by cupcakes. It's a real disney love story ain't it?

Onto these cupcakes. Wouldn't you rather get these in your Easter baskets rather than some dumb old candy? Yes. Yes you would. These are the best lemon cupcakes ever.
They're so light and moist with the best crumb. I was literally tearing up as I ate my second one because it was so lovely! Top them off with a fluffy creamy strawberry buttercream and wabam. happy easter loves.

Lemon Cupcakes
Ingredients-

1 1/2 cups cake flour-sifted
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
8 TBSP salted butter- softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 eggs (Add the first two and beat the third in a seperate bowl and pour in half)
1/2 c +2 TBSP milk
1 1/2 TBSP lemon juice 
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon extract +more to taste
yellow food coloring

Directions:
Heat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners.
Sift together the flour and baking powder and set aside. 
Combine the milk, lemon juice and vanilla and set aside.
Beat the butter and sugar until white and fluffy. Add in the eggs, one at a time. Beating each time until aerated and voluminous  It should get all fluffy like 80s hair. Pour in half the milk mixture and mix on low. Add all of the flour and gently mix until nearly combined. Add the remaining milk and lemon extract and lightly mix until smooth. Don't over mix. Add more lemon extract to taste and yellow food coloring if desired. 
Divide into the muffin tins, filling 3/4 of the way. Don't feel like you're overfilling them, it just gives them that cute dome that everyone loves and bakeries are known for. 
Bake for 16-18 minutes or until just springy. Don't over-bake, that's key. 
Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then finish cooling on a wire-rack. Frost and enjoy. 

Melted Strawberry Buttercream
Ingredients-

18 TBSP (2 sticks + 2 TBSP) butter
4 TBSP shortening
powdered sugar (About 2 cups)
1 big tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp strawberry extract  + more to taste

Directions-
Whip the butter and shortening together until creamy. Add in powdered sugar one 1/2 cup at a time until fairly stiff. Beat in the vanilla and strawberry extract to loosen up the frosting. Beat until airy and fluffy on high. When its to your liking, mix on low for a minute to get the big bubbles out so it pipes smooth. 
Pipe on the cupcakes and enjoy.


4 comments:

  1. These are such gorgeous cupcakes! I love the colourful decorations, and lemon cupcakes sound delicious for Easter.

    from @aroundleglobe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey mikayla :)
    the whole teenage blogosphere seems to complain to be single at the moment... canella vita made some single-lady cake last week (ok, i made it too, but with a friend) and now you're there with cupcakes :D
    happy easter (& who actually needs boyfriends if they have enough cupcakes? ;)
    Jana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ach yes! what are boys, im busy eating frosting!
      (:

      Delete